geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <>
Subject Improve 'Geronimo' Development
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 14:29:19 GMT
So since I've been working on Geronimo, one of the most annoying
things developing Geronimo in an IDE is the overhead involved between
modifing code and being able to test the code.  For a single line
change you have to rebuild and install the module, rebuild the
assembly, and re-extract and relaunch the server image.  This is
needed since Geronimo loads classes from the server repository and
currently cannot from the local m2 repo or from the "target/classes"
directory itself.

Well to ease the developer experience I think we need to change
that.  As a first step, I'd like to see if we can hook into geronimo
a "developers module" that the repository code can delegate over to
to load from the m2 repo.  That itself would be an improvement and
developers could simply rebuild the module without having to regen a
new assembly.  A step beyond that would be the ability to treat the
source tree as a repo, and geronimo load directly from target/
classes, this is tricker since the modules in the source tree don't
follow a groupId/artifact/version/type convention so some sort of
intelligent mapping would have to be done.  In theory, this would
give us the ability to simply compile a module (with an IDE compiler
and not maven) and simply re-start the server.

Would this be an effort that would be valuable to the community?

If so, if there are suggestions on how to go about implementing
either the first or second solution, please give your input.

View raw message