geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: tomcat v6 integration game plan (longish)
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:23:39 GMT

On Nov 30, 2006, at 8:00 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:

> I created a wiki page that outlines the game plan for integrating
> tomcat v6 into Geronimo 2.0 :
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxDEV/Tomcat+v6+game+plan
>
> For those of you whose work in Geronimo 2.0 depends in some way on
> Tomcat v6 I hope this information will give you a chance to provide
> feedback, adjust your plans if necessary, and even grab a hammer and
> pitch in if you like ;-)
>
> Also there are some specific items in the plan that I wanted to
> collect feedback on from the dev community at large :
>
> -  I notice that the servlet 2.5 spec was copied into specs/trunk from
> tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk.  Any concerns with taking the same approach for
> the JSP 2.1 and EL specs?
>
> -  I asked dev@tomcat about publishing their 6.0.2 beta jars in a
> maven repo but got no response yet.  Since some of their 6.0.1 alpha
> jars were published in the snapshot repo I suspect they should be
> willing to publish the beta jars.  Are there any concerns with
> publishing those jars in my personal repo at people.apache.org as an
> interim solution?  I don't like that but can't think of a better
> approach.

There are a couple places where we have put the jars right in the
module as a file system repository.  See the dojo app for one.  I
think that might be a less troublesome solution: I'd consult jason
dillon for his opinion.

> -  There will be a period of time where the tomcat v5 runtime has been
> replaced with tomcat v6 but the builders have not been updated for
> servlet 2.5 yet.  This seemed like a reasonable approach to support a
> 12/23 geronimo 2.0 milestone build.  I'm hoping this should work
> because AFAIK tomcat v6 is backwards compatible. But there may be a
> period of time where webapp deployment is broken or behaves strangely.
>
> -  I'm proposing that we introduce a new jee5 spec config and point
> rmi-naming at it instead of the j2ee 1.4 spec config.  I'm hopeful
> that the jetty assemblies will continue to work after making that
> change but cannot guarantee.  If that causes you concerns then I'm
> open to an alternate approach.

Thinking about this more I think we should perhaps rename the specs
configs "specs" without the j2ee-1.4 stuff in the name and start
putting the new specs into it.  I'm also starting to think that
keeping jetty5 around in 2.0 will just slow us down even if it isn't
causing any problems.

It would be great if we could avoid having rmi-naming depend on the
specs module :-/

thanks
david jencks