geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Why is the activemq.car using the tcp transport?
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 08:13:17 GMT

On Oct 31, 2006, at 10:06 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> Do client-side consumers use the activemq.car?  I really don't know
> where this is used... if it is for clients, then I can
> understand... but if this is only used in the server, then it
> should use the vm:// transport for efficiency.

This is a rar configuration bit, so it is local to the vm it is
installed in..... since this is a server side car, it's going to be
running in the server, and connecting to the broker running in the
same vm.  Therefore I think that vm transport is appropriate.  I have
a vague recollection that when we first got the tck jms tests to pass
the vm transport didn't really work so we used tcp even locally.
Hopefully this is now fixed.

To use jms in a j2ee app client you need to install the rar in the
app client: we don't ship a car for this (although there's one in the
tck setup), and this would have to use tcp.... unless you wanted to
run a broker in the app client.

thanks
david jencks