geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject The Drive to Five
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:38:21 GMT
I've been noodling over our Java EE 5.0 release of Geronimo and had
some ideas I wanted to share.

Given that the J2EE space is highly competitive I would love to see
us have a Java EE 5.0 implementation out before Java One.  We might
not be the first on the block but we'll be in the pack and that will
be huge for us in terms of showing we came from behind with J2EE 1.4
a few years late and now were on a par with our other Open Source
projects in terms of having software available.  The other cool
features like plugins will simply set us apart.

My personal goal is to work towards a full release of Apache Geronimo
2.0 (perhaps it should be 5.0 :)  available around the end of March
in 2007.  In order to have a version available by that date we need
to deliver some milestones earlier so we can get user feedback, tweak
the server and fix some bugs.  So here is my thinking, let me know
how this sounds to you.

December
22nd - Release Milestone 1  this release would include:
   Java 1.5 as the base JDK
   JSP 2.1 (Jetty and Tomcat)
   JSF 1.2
   Java Mail
   JTA 1.1
   JMS 1.1 (Active MQ 4)
   JPA (Open JPA)
   EJB 2.1 (Open EJB 2.3/2?)
   JSTL

This release would not be certified but would be an incremental
version for people to noodle on

January
26th - Release Milestone 2
   Add EJB 3.0 in its current form (need David's input on this)
   JAXB
   JEE Mgmt 1.1
   Web Services 1.2 (perhaps the Axis guys or Celtixfire folks have
some thoughts on this)

February
23rd (or March 2nd) - Release Candidate 1

March
16th - Release Candidate 2
30th - Version 2.0 Available

This is a really rough outline of a delivery schedule.  I know Apache
is not a machine and we're about community.  My hope is that we as a
community will have a common goal to work towards and that a schedule
will help guide us.  If we end up missing the dates because we're not
there then so be it.  I think a good piece of software is worth the
wait but I really want us to hold our heads high when people look at
our stack compared to other alternatives.

In order to achieve these goals we'll need to get cracking on an EE
5.0 release quickly.  It looks like Dain has been getting 1.2 ready
with lots of help and I'm hoping that we'll be able to branch trunk
in to a 1.2 branch this Friday.  It will be awesome for folks to get
a 1.2 in their hands for production use as well as a milestone on
Java EE 5.0 in December.  I'd like to get the EE 5.0 work going in
trunk (best option) or an official branch *(least desireable) this
Friday.  Either way I'd like to officially kick off the Drive to Five !

Are you ready ?

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day."