geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: Java EE 5.0
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 19:30:56 GMT

On Nov 8, 2006, at 1:58 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> To reiterate over and over again, IMO
>
> -- branching is a bad solution to the wrong problem and we should
> work very hard to avoid it
Agreed
> -- supporting various j2ee 1.4- jee5 feature mixes is not hard and
> leads to improved architecture and simpler code.
I think this is where we probably separate ways.  In order to get
reorganized and moving forward as you indicated in the re-
organization of the tree 1.2 needs to be released.  As such...trunk
is in a holding pattern in terms of disruption.  There are lots of
things that need to be done on 1.2 to release it and IMHO there are
precious few people that are interested in another 1.4 certified
version.  So I think investing a lot of time and effort in getting
another 1.4 release out the door is not what I would like to work
on.  I believed the drum beat of release early and release often back
in September but its now mid-November and there are miles to go
before we get there.

What I'm suggesting is that we change the goal for trunk from a
Geronimo 1.2 to a 2.0-beta1 which includes JPA support, Global JNDI,
Java 1.5 and the other cool things that are in there.  We liberate
ourselves from certification as a precursor to releasing as its a
beta (yes the work still needs to be done but it doesn't have to be
the gate) and we are fully on a path towards Java EE 5.0.

Personally, I don't care if we ever release another 1.4 version.  If
someone really wants to there is always the branches/1.x line and
they are free to step up and release one.  1.4 is old news in the
industry and I've never once heard anyone ask when the next 1.4
version is coming out.  Users want to see OpenJPA (which is there
mostly), and the other things above.  I think the previous goal of
1.2 was right at the time and I think now its time to reconsider if
that is the best use of our time.  Personally, I don't think so but
I'm a single rain drop in a storm of opinions :)

What is your opinion on migrating from 1.2 to 2.0 and putting out a
beta in December?  I think its almost the same thing but closer to
user's expectations.

> thanks
> david jencks

Matt Hogstrom