geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: RTC PLEASE COMMENT Priority order for starting gbeans.
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 22:24:32 GMT
> can you go into more detail on what you are thinking of?   I don't
> understand.  It looks to me as if you are proposing building a list
> of what are now PersistenceUnitGBeans directly into the
> configuration.   We can't extract a Transformer from the jpa
> implementation, we have to wait until it does (or doesn't) try to
> install one (or more) in its own sweet time.   Aside from making
> geronimo completely jdk 1.5 only, I don't see why we should put
> support for very specific jpa features into one of our core components.

I don't have a real thorough understanding of the JPA mechanics, so
it's possible I'm totally off-base.  For some reason I thought the
list of transformers would be available at deployment time -- but if
they're only registered at runtime, that's definitely a different
scenario.

Anyway, I was thinking that our Configuration ClassLoader could have a
hook like "addTransformer(Transformer t)", which could be called by
something during startup.  If we knew what the transformer class names
were during deployment, then the deployer could add them to a list
property on the Configuration, and the Configuration could instantiate
and apply them to the Configuration ClassLoader while loading, so
they'd be there "from the beginning".  If they are only coughed up by
the JPA provider at runtime, that wouldn't be an option.

In any case I had been thinking the class transformer feature was more
generic (and might be reused by other features in or out of Java EE),
but upon inspection it looks like it's JPA-specific, so I guess this
is probably not a super idea.

Thanks,
      Aaron