geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r480329 - in /geronimo/server/trunk/configs: ./ client/ j2ee-1.4-specs/ j2ee-1.4-specs/src/ j2ee-1.4-specs/src/plan/ j2ee-server/ rmi-naming/
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 17:47:51 GMT
Personally I'd prefer to move forward with Java EE 5.0.  I think 1.4
assemblies would be nice but we have existing branches for that area
and based on user feedback that isn't an area that is really
interesting to them.

On Nov 29, 2006, at 12:20 PM, Paul McMahan wrote:

> I think it would be cool to be able to build mixed 1.4/JEE5 assemblies
> but I'm not clear on how to make that happen without creating a
> proliferation of modules, configs, and assemblies.  So I have been
> working under the assumption that trunk is strictly for EE5 and that
> any references to J2EE 1.4 artifacts will be upgraded in place.  If I
> understand Joe's proposal correctly then he plans to overwrite
> geronimo-jetty, geronimo-jetty-builder, etc to use jetty v6 instead of
> merging them into trunk as they appear in sandbox, which would be in
> line with my initial approach for tomcat v6 as well.  But that seems
> to contradict the intent of GERONIMO-2604.  Will trunk continue to
> support J2EE 1.4 and if so how will the src tree be organized?
>
> Best wishes,
> Paul
>
> On 11/29/06, Joe Bohn <joe.bohn@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> David,
>>
>> I think this is a great idea.  However, I'm curious about the need
>> for
>> the 1.4 specs in trunk.  Do you envision this soon being replaced
>> by a
>> JavaEE5 specs car?   Should we just rename this now to be JavaEE5 and
>> then update the individual specs contained within it?   Just
>> curious on
>> how you were thinking that we would handle the 1.4 to EE 5 move.
>>
>> I'd also like to get the Jetty6 implementation from the sandbox
>> included
>> in trunk soon.  Along the same lines as above, I assume that we would
>> drop the "-jee5" suffixes as well as the "6" from the jetty artifacts
>> and integrate these changes directly into the appropriate items in
>> trunk.  Being that we now have a branch for 1.2 and trunk is building
>> exclusively using 1.5 (both source and target) I don't think there
>> is a
>> need to continue to maintain the Jetty 5.* in trunk.  If you don't
>> have
>> any objects I'll be looking moving these changes into trunk with
>> those
>> assumptions.
>>
>> Joe

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

When the clouds are full they pour the rain out on the earth;
and whether a tree falls to the north, or it falls to the south,
wherever the tree falls, there is lies.