geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Server startup fails with Sun JDK 1.5, xalan missing
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:41:23 GMT

On Nov 17, 2006, at 9:22 AM, anita kulshreshtha wrote:

>    I have been running server using java -jar bin\server.jar on both
> 1.4 and 1.5. The server was built using 1.5:
>   The console works fine. I hope this info is useful..

Anita,
You'll only get this error if you use geronimo.sh/.bat or explicitly
set endorsed dirs to lib/endorsed when invoking java.

IMO, 'java -jar server.jar' is not really the recommended way of
starting Geronimo. geronimo.sh currently launches Geronimo as follows:

   exec "$_RUNJAVA" $JAVA_OPTS $GERONIMO_OPTS \
     -Dorg.apache.geronimo.base.dir="$GERONIMO_BASE" \
     -Djava.endorsed.dirs="$JRE_HOME/lib/endorsed:$GERONIMO_BASE/lib/
endorsed" \
     -Djava.ext.dirs="$JRE_HOME/lib/ext:$GERONIMO_BASE/lib/ext" \
     -Djava.io.tmpdir="$GERONIMO_TMPDIR" \
     -jar "$GERONIMO_HOME"/bin/server.jar $LONG_OPT "$@"

IMO, this issue highlights the fact that we should be using
geronimo.sh (or specifying equivalent java options) when running
geronimo tests...

--kevan