geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <>
Subject G specific annotations for 2.0, XDoclet or 175?
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:18:02 GMT
What are people's thoughts on annotation support we should provide in
Geronimo 2.0? I'm not referring to the spec annotations, but
container specific annotations (configuration in our g-deployment
plans).  From a users perspective, our deployment plans are massive
and one of the options to simply using them is through annotations.

Is this something people agree on?

If so, then we need to have the XDoclet / JSR-175 debate.  From my
viewpoint, XDoclet is a legacy technology with the introduction of
JSR-175.  There are misconceptions that XDoclet still plays a role in
that its purpose is a code-generation facility and JSR-175 cannot be
used for this purpose is not the case.  With JSR-175 and Sun's APT
code/xml generation can be done as well.  (Even though its much more
complex to do).  I'd like to provide XDoclet support in Geronimo 2.0
as its the easier solution, however my concern is that JEE 5
Developers will not want to deal with mixed type annotations.  Do
people see this as a valid concern?  Or should our approach be
Geronimo Specific 175 Annotations, that can either generate xml or
introspected during runtime as an alternative dealing directly with
the deployment plans.

View raw message