geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Branching trunk and creating 1.2
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:47:56 GMT

On Nov 17, 2006, at 10:49 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> All,
>
> We've been talking about moving 1.2 from trunk to a branch while
> the final touches are put on it as well as promoting trunk to 2.0-
> SNAPSHOT and starting the push to Java EE 5.0.
>
> At this point it looks like most of the activity that is underway
> in trunk is complete.  Here is the outstanding issues I'm aware of.
>
> 1. Upgrade all the license headers and copyright notices to conform
> to the new ASF guidelines.
> 2. Need to get some issues with the connectors straightened out.

We're 98% there...

I'm done updating source files with old license headers (updating
license text and removing copyrights).

Thanks to Jay McHugh, most of the files that did not have a license
headers have also been updated. Only applications/console remain...

After I update applications/console, I'll rerun the scans to verify
we're in good shape.

> Also, we're down from 200 JIRAs to 88 and still decreasing :)

Nice. Thanks!

> When we get these items straightened out I'd like to go ahead and
> make the branch tonight if we're good.
>
> Dain expressed his concerns about drift in the code base and having
> lived through the dead-1.2 branch muck he's spot on.  We need to
> make sure that code doesn't get committed in one place and not
> another.  Anyone want to volunteer to be the goat herder?
>
> Any other issues people can think of?

LICENSE and NOTICE files still need to be updated to be ready for a
1.2 release. However, I don't think that should hold up a branch.
I'll work on that. May or may not be done today. This is a small
number of files. I'm happy to merge...

Once I get the applications/console updates in, I think we can branch
at any time. We still have known must-fix problems (recent xalan
issue on Java 5, tck issues, etc.). We're signing up to start merging
issues like that...

IMO, key to making this work is timely merging of updates. People
working on 1.2 are likely to be the people under the most time
pressures. If merging starts to pose a problem, I'm certainly willing
to help... Merging, building, and testing can take significant hunks
of time... Let's be sure and spread this pain around a little bit...

--kevan