geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: Java EE 5.0
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 16:01:08 GMT

On Nov 8, 2006, at 10:39 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2006, at 7:16 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>

>> My objection to putting the jee5 work into a branch is that it's
>> not a branch!   It is currently and IMO will always remain
>> additional code that can happily run side by side with all our
>> current code.  Creating the jee5 workspace is not going to involve
>> copying any existing geronimo server branch: its going to involve
>> adding new modules for new functionality.  After reading ken's
>> comments I agree that keeping it in the sandbox carries an
>> unwanted implication that it's not ready for prime time.
>

> Seems useful to review the options:
>
> 1) Create a full branch (e.g. server/branches/jee5) which is a copy
> of current trunk. And develop there. Once server/branches/1.2 has
> been created. server/branches/jee5 could be merged onto trunk. The
> problem with this approach is that the overhead of merging vs.
> problem resolution. Either you work diligently to keep the
> codebases in sync, or you potentially debug problems on two
> codebases, and pay merge costs later...
>

> 2) Develop in a sparse source tree. The source tree only contains
> the new code that is being developed. The hope is that this reduces
> the overhead of merging changes. However, it will also complicate
> the build process -- it seems that Joe has been having problems
> building using this technique.
>

> 3) Create server/branches/1.2, now. This seems pretty much
> equivalent to 1). Similar merging concerns... Most changes made to
> branches/1.2 will require merging onto trunk.

4) Change trunk to 2.0-SNAPSHOT and turn it into M1 as it stands.
No TCK required...incremental move towards Java EE 5.0 (due to JPA),
greater relevance to our users, and its a win for everyone.

Personally, I don't think branching is the optimal solution and in
reality I think its suboptimal.  However, based on the feedback from
the JUGs, the performance report on the TSS and talking to people
they are more interested in Java 1.5 and Java EE 5.0 than another 1.4
certified release.  This also means that we don't have to invest
effort in a 1.2 release which is always time consuming.

> If people can make reasonable progress on jee5 using 2), then that
> seems as close as we'll get to a win-win...
>
> --kevan

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org