geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: tomcat v6 integration game plan (longish)
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:09:22 GMT

Paul McMahan wrote:
> -  I notice that the servlet 2.5 spec was copied into specs/trunk from
> tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk.  Any concerns with taking the same approach for
> the JSP 2.1 and EL specs?

Were they copied or typed in?  I thought Bill Dudney typed them in or
may have used the TC specs but made some changes.  I hate to copy them
in, but for the sake of consistency, perhaps you can/should do that.

There was talk of Grand Central Project here at Apache, which would
provide for a one-stop-shop for specs to prevent from copying.  Anybody
hear of any movement on that?

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/GrandCentralProposal

This seems like the best idea for Apache's projects.

> -  I asked dev@tomcat about publishing their 6.0.2 beta jars in a
> maven repo but got no response yet.  Since some of their 6.0.1 alpha
> jars were published in the snapshot repo I suspect they should be
> willing to publish the beta jars.  Are there any concerns with
> publishing those jars in my personal repo at people.apache.org as an
> interim solution?  I don't like that but can't think of a better
> approach.

This has been done numerous times before ;-)  You could also publish a
"G" version of them as a temporary measure..that also has been done before.

> -  I'm proposing that we introduce a new jee5 spec config and point
> rmi-naming at it instead of the j2ee 1.4 spec config.  I'm hopeful
> that the jetty assemblies will continue to work after making that
> change but cannot guarantee.  If that causes you concerns then I'm
> open to an alternate approach.

I agree with your approach.

Jeff