geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Java EE 5.0
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 16:10:03 GMT

Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> 4) Change trunk to 2.0-SNAPSHOT and turn it into M1 as it stands.    No
> TCK required...incremental move towards Java EE 5.0 (due to JPA),
> greater relevance to our users, and its a win for everyone.
>
> Personally, I don't think branching is the optimal solution and in
> reality I think its suboptimal.  However, based on the feedback from
> the JUGs, the performance report on the TSS and talking to people  they
> are more interested in Java 1.5 and Java EE 5.0 than another 1.4
> certified release.  This also means that we don't have to invest  effort
> in a 1.2 release which is always time consuming.

This is an interesting take on the issue.  I agree that it seems like
more users are interested in Java EE 5 and less interested in another
1.4 certified release. I think it might be valuable to rename trunk to
be 2.0 and deliver what was originally targeted as "1.2" as the first
milestone along that path.   It seems that this is the best of both
worlds ... we get the functional improvements of 1.2 out sooner and we
begin to get traction in the community toward Java EE 5.   +1

Joe