geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Java EE 5.0
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 16:04:41 GMT

Kevan Miller wrote:

> 2) Develop in a sparse source tree. The source tree only contains the
> new code that is being developed. The hope is that this reduces the
> overhead of merging changes. However, it will also complicate the  build
> process -- it seems that Joe has been having problems building  using
> this technique.

It isn't just a problem of building via a sparse tree (though it does
make the build process more complex).  I don't think it is feasible to
manage a sparse tree for when "common components" that already live in
trunk need to be updated as a result of some changes for a component in
the sparse tree  ... see my earlier response to David.  If you really
want to try the sparse tree approach then I think you need to move *all*
configs out of trunk and into the sparse tree which will be disruptive
to trunk (and hence 1.2).

Joe