geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Lasantha Ranaweera <lasan...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: important: License issues in Geronimo 1.0 Samples
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 09:33:18 GMT
Hi Hernan,

Actually here I am missed something here. So first of all apologies for
that. Regarding this issue I have contacted somebody who knows open
source than me. He explained me that I can edit this source code without
any issue, since you have granted me  that ability as the author. In
that case Kevin's argument is more of theoretical than practical one. Am
I correct?

If you need I can go ahead  with the editing for you :-) . Sorry for
dragging this issue so much.

Now I am learning about open source licenses. ;-)

Thanks,
Lasantha Ranaweera

Hernan Cunico wrote:
> As I said, I worked with other folks on those samples and I submitted
> the patch into JIRA granting ASL, that's why I asked you if you could
> fix the headers in the docs you were updating. I wasn't asking for
> anything weird as you suggested in a previous email, but you're right,
> I should probably go fix all those src myself.
>
> I will work on a doc about granting license to ASF for all the docs
> and attachments and put a link on Geronimo's cwiki homepage. The
> license issue does not apply only to the samples but to the doc and
> images altogether.
>
> Cheers!
> Hernan
>
> lasantha@opensource.lk wrote:
>> If those sample are added with JIRA then it won't be that much of big
>> problem because contributor knows it goes under ASL. I thought it might
>> have added as the current way of confluence itself. Even though it might
>> not add the license information to the source code I think it is very
>> important to let the contributor know that they are donating their
>> materials under ASL. JIRA handles that issue atleast ;).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lasantha Ranaweera
>>
>>> Lasantha,
>>> I either wrote or co-authored all those docs and the headers in
>>> question
>>> skipped my attention at that time.
>>> I know for sure they were not there in the first releases of those
>>> samples
>>> as we were developing them. Apparently those headers were added at a
>>> later
>>> time.
>>>
>>> Either way those samples as well as the entire documentation were made
>>> available in JIRA GERONIMO-1357 granting ASL to all the content. But
>>> clicking the ASL check box in JIRA does not add any license info to the
>>> attached files.
>>>
>>> As for Confluence itself, in the autoexported version you can read
>>> at the
>>> bottom of each page "Copyright © 2003-2006, The Apache Software
>>> Foundation". Maybe this is not enough.
>>>
>>> Confluence is just a wiki and there is no way (without major
>>> surgery) to
>>> modify the "attachments" page so we can click an ASL check box. Even if
>>> there is one there would be no chance to add any ASL related info to
>>> the
>>> actual files.
>>>
>>> I don't know what the solution would be so I'm open to suggestions.
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>> Hernan

So we