geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hernan Cunico <hcun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: important: License issues in Geronimo 1.0 Samples
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 21:09:52 GMT
lasantha@opensource.lk wrote:
> Hi Hernan,
>
> I felt this is yet another issue created by confluence. That is because
> people can contribute to the Geronimo project not accepting ASF licenses.
> If the contributors are working with the JIRA then they have to accept ASF
> license with each and every patch (if they like to contribute to the
> project). Is there any way to give this functionality to the confluence

As I said in an earlier note, clicking a checkbox will not address the issue of having some
files with some pre-existing "license" or "credits" information.

> too? Anyway I am not a fan of confluence than JIRA to get contributions to
> an open source project,  hear are my points regarding it (may be this
> horse has been beaten to dead several times by this same community ;-) ).

Not to dead, looks like it's still kicking ;-)

> First I will start from it's positives. Yeah I accept it will give very
> nice presentation to the users with some very good inbuilt capabilities
> (pdf export etc etc).
>
> The point I am against here is using it directly to get the user
> contributions. Here are some the points come to my mind.

That's exactly the point for using a wiki, so everybody can contribute. "Collaboration"

> 1. License issues like above might occur because of the contributors are
> not accepting ASF licenses. Also it will not promote the ASF licenses. I
> think you all will understand the importance of ASF licenses to the open
> source community.

There should not be any licensing related issues, we are talking about documentation. I grant
that a vast majority of the "articles" in the documentation contain some sort of examples
and most of those examples are also available as attachments.

I would not be happy if we need to change the current method for contributing to the doc with
a more strict one (i.e. restricted edit access) so we can avoid this kind of issues. That
will, IMO, make it even harder for new contributors trying to provide some docs.

> (This is one of the major promotion slogans of Geronimo too ;-) )
> 2. Visibility of the work done in the confluence is limited to a very few
> developers because most of the developers are working with the JIRA. I am
> not sure this is the best way to handle a community driven project like
> Geronimo.

Not sure I follow what you are saying "...visibility of the work done in the confluence is
limited..."
I think the wiki has more visibility than any other media. Can you expand a bit more

> 3. Nobody is going to create JIRA issues regarding documentation issues.
> So according to my understanding documentation will not improve from
> starting. There is noway to submit a patches to the existing bugs of the
> documentation (then we might have to get the help of JIRA).

Using JIRA is not going to enhance nor leverage more community building around the documentation.
However it may help to track some articles and its versions but there will be no revisions
in sync with the current Confluence content.

Again, not sure I understand your concern about "...documentation will not improve from starting..."
You don't need an issue tracking system to get feedback on the documentation. There are a
lot of folks chiming in and either send an email with comments or go directly to the wiki
and fix some typos for example. That's the beauty of the wiki, everybody can collaborate and
contribute improve the documentation.

> 4. I am sure people like tech writers, graphic editors, translators etc.
> are part of an open source project contributors (I heard some of the
> Apache members start their work as tech writers). In this kind of
> environment they will not get the credit they deserve too.

Now this is the horse we beat to dead ;-) we have had endless discussions about this subject
over a long period of time and I think we tried every possible recipe available. If you are
concerned about the visibility of the articles you contribute then I would encourage you to
do the same thing you would do if you were posting the same article anywhere else. Talk about
it, let us (the community) know what you've worked on. Don't let an automatic email do it
for you, it would probably get filtered ;-)

HTH

Cheers!
Hernan

> Comments !!!!
>
> Thanks,
> Lasantha Ranaweera
>
>> Lasantha,
>> those samples were donated to the project ergo they should only display
>> ASF2 license.
>>
>> This is the text we have in trunk today
>>
>> <!--
>>     Copyright 2006 The Apache Software Foundation
>>
>>     Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
>>     you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
>>     You may obtain a copy of the License at
>>
>>        http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
>>
>>     Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
>>     distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
>>     WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or
>> implied.
>>     See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
>>     limitations under the License.
>> -->
>>
>> Could you please remove the unnecessary (old) data and comments and add
>> the appropriate lines to each of the files for all the samples you are
>> updating.
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/licenses may give you some additional tips.
>>
>> Thanks for taking care of this.
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Hernan
>>
>> Lasantha Ranaweera wrote:
>>> Sorry to send it again. This is an important issue. Have a look at the
>>> attached file. I have stuck here whether to reuse this sample or not.
>>> :-\

>>> /*****************************************************************
>>>  *   File: BusinessLogicEJB.java
>>>  *
>>>  *   Date         Version   Author               Changes
>>>  *   Oct.05,2005  1.1       Ivan Dubrov		     Created
>>>  *
>>>  *   Copyright (c) 2005, IBM Corporation
>>>  *   All rights reserved.
>>>
>>> package com.ibm.j2g.security;