geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jay D. McHugh" <...@joyfulnoisewebdesign.com>
Subject Re: important: License issues in Geronimo 1.0 Samples
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 18:05:28 GMT
lasantha@opensource.lk wrote:
> 1. License issues like above might occur because of the contributors are
> not accepting ASF licenses. Also it will not promote the ASF licenses. I
> think you all will understand the importance of ASF licenses to the open
> source community.
I may be wrong, but I think the issue of license on content added to the
wiki came up before and it was stated that content added to wiki is (by
the nature of wikis) automatically freely available to everyone for any use.

It may be a good idea to put an official license policy onto the wiki
though.  That way, there should hopefully not be any future questions
about permissible use to it's content or the license that applies.

Here is an excerpt from the license/copyright page from Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights):

<excerpt>
Contributors' rights and obligations

If you contribute material to Wikipedia, you thereby license it to the
public under the GFDL (with no invariant sections, front-cover texts, or
back-cover texts). In order to contribute, you therefore must be in a
position to grant this license, which means that either

    * you own the copyright to the material, for instance because you
      produced it yourself, or
    * you acquired the material from a source that allows the licensing
      under GFDL, for instance because the material is in the public
      domain <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain> or is itself
      published under GFDL.

In the first case, you retain copyright to your materials. You can later
republish and relicense them in any way you like. However, you can never
retract the GFDL license for the versions you placed here: that material
will remain under GFDL forever.

In the second case, if you incorporate external GFDL materials, as a
requirement of the GFDL, you need to acknowledge the authorship and
provide a link back to the network location of the original copy.
</excerpt>

Jay