geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hernan Cunico <hcun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: important: License issues in Geronimo 1.0 Samples
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 18:00:20 GMT
Lasantha,
I either wrote or co-authored all those docs and the headers in question skipped my attention
at that time.
I know for sure they were not there in the first releases of those samples as we were developing
them. Apparently those headers were added at a later time.

Either way those samples as well as the entire documentation were made available in JIRA GERONIMO-1357
granting ASL to all the content. But clicking the ASL check box in JIRA does not add any license
info to the attached files.

As for Confluence itself, in the autoexported version you can read at the bottom of each page
"Copyright © 2003-2006, The Apache Software Foundation". Maybe this is not enough.

Confluence is just a wiki and there is no way (without major surgery) to modify the "attachments"
page so we can click an ASL check box. Even if there is one there would be no chance to add
any ASL related info to the actual files.

I don't know what the solution would be so I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers!
Hernan

lasantha@opensource.lk wrote:
> Hi Hernan,
>
> I can't add those modifications to the samples with propriety licenses,
> you know it is not illegal and ethical :(. Sure I can add this Apache
> licence to the samples I had written.
>
> Also one more question. Can I add this license to other existing samples?
> Somewhere I heard we can't change the distributed license to any other
> license. Confluence is bit different than JIRA, nobody accepts ASF
> licences before their commiting. I haven't come across this situation at
> all. Please help.
>
> Thanks,
> Lasantha Ranaweera
>
>> Lasantha,
>> those samples were donated to the project ergo they should only display
>> ASF2 license.
>>
>> This is the text we have in trunk today
>>
>> <!--
>>     Copyright 2006 The Apache Software Foundation
>>
>>     Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
>>     you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
>>     You may obtain a copy of the License at
>>
>>        http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
>>
>>     Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
>>     distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
>>     WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or
>> implied.
>>     See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
>>     limitations under the License.
>> -->
>>
>> Could you please remove the unnecessary (old) data and comments and add
>> the appropriate lines to each of the files for all the samples you are
>> updating.
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/licenses may give you some additional tips.
>>
>> Thanks for taking care of this.
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Hernan
>>
>> Lasantha Ranaweera wrote:
>>> Sorry to send it again. This is an important issue. Have a look at the
>>> attached file. I have stuck here whether to reuse this sample or not.
>>> :-\

>>> /*****************************************************************
>>>  *   File: BusinessLogicEJB.java
>>>  *
>>>  *   Date         Version   Author               Changes
>>>  *   Oct.05,2005  1.1       Ivan Dubrov		     Created
>>>  *
>>>  *   Copyright (c) 2005, IBM Corporation
>>>  *   All rights reserved.
>>>
>>> package com.ibm.j2g.security;