geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Removing the custom packaging "integration-test"
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 22:02:07 GMT
On Nov 2, 2006, at 1:37 PM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:

> I am going to remove the "integration-test" packaging that we
> introduced for the testsuite framework. By having that custom
> packaging, we are seeing the following problems

Do not remove the packaging, if you feel that you need to use a
different packaging to hack around Maven problems, then go for it...
but leave the packaging.

> 1) running the site goal on that pom
> http://www.nabble.com/Are-these-errors-due-to-changes-in-genesis-
> logging---tf2562523.html
>
> 2) generating surefire-reports.html
> http://www.nabble.com/HELP%3A-Running-site-goal-on-a-cutom-
> packaging-tf2539516s177.html#a7122304
>
> This is what I propose we do.

> * Configure surefire-plugin to skip tests in the "test" phase and run
> tests in the "integration-test" phase.
>
> This will help us achieve our goals. This will also help us move
> smoothly to the maven-it-plugin once it comes out of the sandbox.
>
> If I'm missing something else here, please enlighten me.

I think we are spending way to muck effort here to get `mvn site` to
work out of the box.  Its probably easier to just make a new profile
for the testsuite modules which hooks up modules per-the normal
mechanism and then hardcode the surefire report to execute.

Maven is broke in many ways... and we are pushing its limits... and
anything we do is hacking around Maven problems.  But we don't want
to revert to a gross hack which will quickly become
unmaintainable...  and IMO by removing the custom packaging we will
end up with a lot more xml in our poms to hack this together... which
IMO is not the right direction.

--jason