geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java EE 5.0
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 16:28:34 GMT

On Nov 8, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> Kevan Miller wrote:
>
>> 2) Develop in a sparse source tree. The source tree only contains
>> the  new code that is being developed. The hope is that this
>> reduces the  overhead of merging changes. However, it will also
>> complicate the  build process -- it seems that Joe has been having
>> problems building  using this technique.
>
> It isn't just a problem of building via a sparse tree (though it
> does make the build process more complex).  I don't think it is
> feasible to manage a sparse tree for when "common components" that
> already live in trunk need to be updated as a result of some
> changes for a component in the sparse tree  ... see my earlier
> response to David.  If you really want to try the sparse tree
> approach then I think you need to move *all* configs out of trunk
> and into the sparse tree which will be disruptive to trunk (and
> hence 1.2).

Well, I'm assuming that "building" means building new jars, new/
modified configs, and new/modified assemblies. You'd have merge
overhead for any overlapping components. I don't really understand
why you'd move configs out of trunk... However, if a sparse tree
doesn't work, then it doesn't work. I certainly haven't spent any
time looking at it...

--kevan