geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Vamsavardhana Reddy" <c1vams...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Improve 'Geronimo' Development
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 10:33:19 GMT
Testing code changes in G was and still is a painfully long process.
Testing changes to admin console is ok(?) to some extent.  I use Eclipse for
development.  Some changes could be tested quickly while using remote debug,
but, you can not be sure which ones and once the IDE complains "Hot code
replacement failed" or you disconnect the debugger, the server needs to be
built again.  Sometimes a build will fail since Eclipse knocks-out xml-beans
classes and at this stage the only option is to do a rebuild.  We should
also consider some improvements to the build process so that the module that
is modified can be specified as a parameter to the build command and it will
build only those modules/configs that need to be built for the changes to
get reflected in the server.  IMHO, any improvement in this aspect of G (to
be able to test changes quickly) will have a dramatic improvement in the
productivity of G Developers.

--vamsi