geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: tomcat v6 integration game plan (longish)
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:30:58 GMT

> On Nov 30, 2006, at 8:00 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:
> > -  I asked dev@tomcat about publishing their 6.0.2 beta jars in a
> > maven repo but got no response yet.  Since some of their 6.0.1 alpha
> > jars were published in the snapshot repo I suspect they should be
> > willing to publish the beta jars.  Are there any concerns with
> > publishing those jars in my personal repo at people.apache.org as an
> > interim solution?  I don't like that but can't think of a better
> > approach.
>
> There are a couple places where we have put the jars right in the
> module as a file system repository.  See the dojo app for one.  I
> think that might be a less troublesome solution: I'd consult jason
> dillon for his opinion.

I'm familiar with the dojo app but my concern with taking that
approach is that unlike dojo the tomcat jars are needed in several
different modules/configs/assemblies.  But when it comes to maven
Jason is always yanking rabbits out of a hat so he can probably
recommend a solution.

> > -  I'm proposing that we introduce a new jee5 spec config and point
> > rmi-naming at it instead of the j2ee 1.4 spec config.  I'm hopeful
> > that the jetty assemblies will continue to work after making that
> > change but cannot guarantee.  If that causes you concerns then I'm
> > open to an alternate approach.
>
> Thinking about this more I think we should perhaps rename the specs
> configs "specs" without the j2ee-1.4 stuff in the name and start
> putting the new specs into it.  I'm also starting to think that
> keeping jetty5 around in 2.0 will just slow us down even if it isn't
> causing any problems.

OK I like that solution better too.

> It would be great if we could avoid having rmi-naming depend on the
> specs module :-/

agreed.

Best wishes,
Paul