geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject tomcat v6 integration game plan (longish)
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:00:24 GMT
I created a wiki page that outlines the game plan for integrating
tomcat v6 into Geronimo 2.0 :
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxDEV/Tomcat+v6+game+plan

For those of you whose work in Geronimo 2.0 depends in some way on
Tomcat v6 I hope this information will give you a chance to provide
feedback, adjust your plans if necessary, and even grab a hammer and
pitch in if you like ;-)

Also there are some specific items in the plan that I wanted to
collect feedback on from the dev community at large :

-  I notice that the servlet 2.5 spec was copied into specs/trunk from
tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk.  Any concerns with taking the same approach for
the JSP 2.1 and EL specs?

-  I asked dev@tomcat about publishing their 6.0.2 beta jars in a
maven repo but got no response yet.  Since some of their 6.0.1 alpha
jars were published in the snapshot repo I suspect they should be
willing to publish the beta jars.  Are there any concerns with
publishing those jars in my personal repo at people.apache.org as an
interim solution?  I don't like that but can't think of a better
approach.

-  There will be a period of time where the tomcat v5 runtime has been
replaced with tomcat v6 but the builders have not been updated for
servlet 2.5 yet.  This seemed like a reasonable approach to support a
12/23 geronimo 2.0 milestone build.  I'm hoping this should work
because AFAIK tomcat v6 is backwards compatible. But there may be a
period of time where webapp deployment is broken or behaves strangely.

-  I'm proposing that we introduce a new jee5 spec config and point
rmi-naming at it instead of the j2ee 1.4 spec config.  I'm hopeful
that the jetty assemblies will continue to work after making that
change but cannot guarantee.  If that causes you concerns then I'm
open to an alternate approach.

Best wishes,
Paul