geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java EE 5.0
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 17:52:45 GMT

> 4) Change trunk to 2.0-SNAPSHOT and turn it into M1 as it stands.
> No TCK required...incremental move towards Java EE 5.0 (due to JPA),
> greater relevance to our users, and its a win for everyone.
>
> Personally, I don't think branching is the optimal solution and in
> reality I think its suboptimal.  However, based on the feedback from
> the JUGs, the performance report on the TSS and talking to people
> they are more interested in Java 1.5 and Java EE 5.0 than another 1.4
> certified release.  This also means that we don't have to invest
> effort in a 1.2 release which is always time consuming.

If everyone rallies around 1.2 then can we estimate how much longer
will it take to release it?  From what I understand here are some
current issues that affect our ability to release what's in trunk as
1.2:

-  completing the TCK
-  specs versioning issue (all one version vs. multiple versions)
-  number of open JIRAs
-  console startup time on jetty
-  pending merges from 1.2-dead
-  fit and finish

I can't speak for others but for my part I'm willing to temporarily
put aside my JEE5 fetish ;-) and focus on the 1.2 release if we can
make it happen very soon.  Otherwise I'm +1 on Matt's new proposal for
changing trunk to 2.0-SNAPSHOT and releasing it as M1 because it
allows us to focus on JEE5 right away while still providing something
useful to our users. Putting out an M1 also has the added benefit of
sending a very clear signal that we're on the move towards JEE5.

Best wishes,
Paul