geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Rakesh Midha" <midha.rak...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Security Issue with hot deployer
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2006 05:36:10 GMT
I accept your point that on a non-secure machine it doesn't help to have
application or server level security bcoz one can anyway delete file system
or do lot of bad things. In that case why do we have deploy tool asking for
user/password even on local machine.

My thinking is "We put locks on our home not for thiefs (anyways thiefs can
break locks), we put lock to stop others to not use open home oportunity"
What I mean to say is we dont need to make applications secure on non-secure
machine for felons but for ourselves that we dont delete or change our
applications by mistake.

The point I was trying to make is,
1. We should consider thinking additing some additional security in
hot-deployer (there are so many illigal things which can be done, but
atleast our server should not facilitate them)
2. Having an editable config file, doesn't make lot of sense from security
point of view, can we consider encripting it?
3. Can we consider, making our repository only readable and not editable
from outside.

thanks
Rakesh