geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From lasan...@opensource.lk
Subject Re: important: License issues in Geronimo 1.0 Samples
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 17:43:08 GMT
Hi Hernan,

I felt this is yet another issue created by confluence. That is because
people can contribute to the Geronimo project not accepting ASF licenses.
If the contributors are working with the JIRA then they have to accept ASF
license with each and every patch (if they like to contribute to the
project). Is there any way to give this functionality to the confluence
too? Anyway I am not a fan of confluence than JIRA to get contributions to
an open source project,  hear are my points regarding it (may be this
horse has been beaten to dead several times by this same community ;-) ).

First I will start from it's positives. Yeah I accept it will give very
nice presentation to the users with some very good inbuilt capabilities
(pdf export etc etc).

The point I am against here is using it directly to get the user
contributions. Here are some the points come to my mind.

1. License issues like above might occur because of the contributors are
not accepting ASF licenses. Also it will not promote the ASF licenses. I
think you all will understand the importance of ASF licenses to the open
source community.
(This is one of the major promotion slogans of Geronimo too ;-) )
2. Visibility of the work done in the confluence is limited to a very few
developers because most of the developers are working with the JIRA. I am
not sure this is the best way to handle a community driven project like
Geronimo.
3. Nobody is going to create JIRA issues regarding documentation issues.
So according to my understanding documentation will not improve from
starting. There is noway to submit a patches to the existing bugs of the
documentation (then we might have to get the help of JIRA).
4. I am sure people like tech writers, graphic editors, translators etc.
are part of an open source project contributors (I heard some of the
Apache members start their work as tech writers). In this kind of
environment they will not get the credit they deserve too.

Comments !!!!

Thanks,
Lasantha Ranaweera