geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <sppat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Improve 'Geronimo' Development
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 15:30:23 GMT
To add there are two audiences here.

(1) Our users, and improving the IDE integration with the runtime, so
that they have a better IDE experience when deploying their J2EE
applications and or Geronimo services to geronimo.
(2) The commmiters and contributes for Geronimo, to improve their
experience developing 'Geronimo' within an IDE.

This targets #2.

On Nov 3, 2006, at 9:29 AM, Sachin Patel wrote:

> So since I've been working on Geronimo, one of the most annoying
> things developing Geronimo in an IDE is the overhead involved
> between modifing code and being able to test the code.  For a
> single line change you have to rebuild and install the module,
> rebuild the assembly, and re-extract and relaunch the server
> image.  This is needed since Geronimo loads classes from the server
> repository and currently cannot from the local m2 repo or from the
> "target/classes" directory itself.
>
> Well to ease the developer experience I think we need to change
> that.  As a first step, I'd like to see if we can hook into
> geronimo a "developers module" that the repository code can
> delegate over to to load from the m2 repo.  That itself would be an
> improvement and developers could simply rebuild the module without
> having to regen a new assembly.  A step beyond that would be the
> ability to treat the source tree as a repo, and geronimo load
> directly from target/classes, this is tricker since the modules in
> the source tree don't follow a groupId/artifact/version/type
> convention so some sort of intelligent mapping would have to be
> done.  In theory, this would give us the ability to simply compile
> a module (with an IDE compiler and not maven) and simply re-start
> the server.
>
> Would this be an effort that would be valuable to the community?
>
> If so, if there are suggestions on how to go about implementing
> either the first or second solution, please give your input.
>
> thx
>
> -sachin

-sachin