geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: DAYTRADER: Release Plans - feedback please
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:23:08 GMT

On Nov 20, 2006, at 11:56 AM, Christopher Blythe wrote:

> Matt, et al.
>
> Thanks for getting this rolling...
>
> I don't really have that much to say about the 1.1.1 release since
> I have been putting most of my effort into the new 1.2 branch.
> However, I do have a question... I have noticed there is a 1.1
> branch and a 1.1.0 tag. Can you explain the difference?

We assumed that there would be a maintenance stream for the tags.
1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.2, etc.  so 1.1.0 == 1.1.  Might deprecate that as it
doesn't seem as intuitive to people as we thought :)

> Regarding 1.2, Piyush and myself have a short laundry list of
> things we have opened and would like to see go in. Here is the run
> down...
>
> - DT-14 - Include sql scripts in ear
> - DT-17 - Dojo-based interface for Daytrader
> - DT-19 - Fix various HTML syntax issues and remove un-needed
> import statements
> - DT-24 - Clean up plan files in 1.2 branch
> - DT-25 - Update decimal precision and indexes in ddl
> - DT-26 - Cannot switch between EJB mode and Session Direct mode

I'll work to get this backlog taken care of in 1.2 this afternoon and
tomorrow.  You guys are making me fall behind...perhaps djencks or
genenger have some time as well

> Piyush has also made some additional updates to DT-22 (which was
> previously closed) that deserve some additional consideration.
>
> In addition to these items, here are a few other things I've been
> toying with and would like some feedback on...
> - Removing Async 1-phase mode (per comments in DT-22)
> - Removing TradeSoapProxy (not needed by the WS app client)
> - Updating README and other docs
>
> I think that covers most of it, but I'm sure I could come up with
> more. ;-)
>
> Now for Daytrader 2.0 (trunk). Although we targeted most of the
> above items for Daytrader 1.2, I don't see any reason to keep these
> out of Daytrader 2.0 as well. Thoughts??? I like the idea of
> gearing the 2.0 release towards JPA, etc. and creating a new rev
> once we have full EE5 support. On this thread, I have two concerns...

2.0 should include everything going into 1.2 unless there is a clear
breakage.

> - Decoupling and multiple-backend support - Last week I opened
> DT-23 to address this issue and provided some suggestions on how we
> could re-org Daytrader to better support multiple backends. Would
> like to get your feedback on this.

Will do...I think djencks had some feedback.  Jeff?

> - Versioning strategy - As things stand, the versioning strategy
> for Daytrader seems fairly random and skipping from 2 to 5 might be
> confusing unless of course we choose to start linking the version
> level to something concrete (like a Geronimo release or the EE spec
> level).
>
> All for now... let me know what you think.
>
> Chris
>
> On 11/16/06, Matt Hogstrom <matt@hogstrom.org > wrote:
> Chris, David, et all,
>
> I'm noodling through DayTrader and where we're driving too.  I'd like
> to discuss requirements for upcoming releases and get some agreement
> on what's coming.
>
> Currently we have
> DayTrader 1.1.1 which is in branches and needs to be released.  It is
> basically 1.1 with a stmt cache bug fix included.  We'll also have to
> scrub it for the new release guidelines.  Anything I'm missing?  I'll
> plan on getting something for a release vote after Thanksgiving.
>
> For branches/1.2 I'd like to solicit JIRAs that need to go here.  I
> think this is a J2EE 1.4 release with no real enhancements to the
> programming model but with a very cool looking AJAX fron end ...
> thanks Chris.  We should probably include the new scripts provided by
> Piyush that creates the tables as well.  Anything else?
>
> trunk (2.0) is really an interim release I think that includes the
> new JPA support as well as other Java EE 5.0 functionality.  It would
> be nice to have something that coincides with the Geronimo 1.2
> release to show off the new functionality there and perhaps provide
> the basis of another perofrmance comparison.  Perhaps we would then
> rev DT to a 5.0 version for full EE 5.0 functionality.
>
> Thoughts, comments, criticisms?
>
> Matt Hogstrom
> matt@hogstrom.org
>
> "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
> Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day."
>

> --
> "I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let...
> lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." - Tyler Durden

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

When the clouds are full they pour the rain out on the earth;
and whether a tree falls to the north, or it falls to the south,
wherever the tree falls, there is lies.