geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Prasad Kashyap" <goyathlay.geron...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discussion] openejb-itests in testsuite
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 15:51:23 GMT
Thanx. Please see comments inline -

Cheers
Prasad

> Ok, I took look through where you're going and here's a slightly
> altered proposal.
>
> We group the tests with the beans as such:
>
>   openejb-footests/src/main/    # this is where the beans will go
>   openejb-footests/src/test/    # this is where the client test code
> will go

Do you propose putting all the beans in one single module and thus one
single ejb-jar ? The many plans that we use forces us to have multiple
jars and thus separate modules(poms) for each. This is why I had the
beans spread across multiple modules.

> We setup the poms to package and publish the test code with the beans:
>
>   http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-jar-plugin/test-jar-mojo.html

+1. I like this idea. It keeps the tests code with the beans. In
geronimo/testsuite/ejbcontainer-testsuite, I can just get this
test-jar, expand it and run the tests in them.

> That will avoid spreading the code for a single test between two
> modules and avoids the "bucket" module that would contain all test
> client code for all modules and would needlessly have a dependency on
> all modules.
>
> Couple thoughts on the poms:
>
>    - the parent would lineage would be org.apache.openejb:itests ->
> org.apache.openejb:openejb
>    - the groupId would be org.apache.openejb

The groupId and the parent lineage looks good. As stated above, there
would be many child modules for the beans under the itests parent
module

groupId: o.a.openejb
openejb -> itests -> itests-security-xxx
openejb -> itests -> itests-cmp2-xxx

> You and put any geronimo-specific plugins, descriptors, or
> dependencies in pom.xmls (modules) in geronimo svn using any layout
> you choose.  Those modules would just declare dependencies on the
> openejb test libraries they wish to reuse.  That should be fine
> unless you also plan to redo all the test source code to something
> other than junit or introduce code dependencies on geronimo-specific
> bits of test framework.  If that's the ultimate goal, then it might
> just be better to take a copy of the test code.

Well, the other tests in geronimo are written in TestNG. Until we move
to JDK 1.5, it doesn't make sense to move the openejb itests to
TestNG. The annotations all have to change. Moreover, it may not make
practical sense to move these 400+ tests from junit to TestNG. So we
may stay with this arrangement. But IF ever we do so for any reason,
then yes,  we should make another copy of the test code.

> Thoughts?
>
> -David

Thanx
Prasad