geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Maven's snapshot mechanism is horked (Re: Build error - Is it from svn commit: r463555 - /geronimo/genesis/trunk/config/project-config/pom.xml?)
Date Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:16:48 GMT
On Oct 14, 2006, at 6:58 AM, Kenney Westerhof wrote:
> Running mvn with -U -cpu should fix that (or wait 24 hours and try
> again :)).

I don't think this helps... at least not the wait 24 hours.  I was up
late and was running a build at 11:50pm and it ran fine, then ran a
build at 12:02am and it puked about missing versions from genesis 1.1-
SNAPSHOT versions... which I had versions in my local repo that were
all newer than any snap that I had deployed.... and I am the only one
who deploys them, so no chance that it as deployed by someone else.

The only way I could fix was to build genesis locally after the
failed 12:02am build.  But the crazy part was that I had just done
that at about 11:40pm, did *not deploy* so my local copy was newer,
but maven decided not to resolve to those versions?!?!

I don't think using `mvn -U` helps either, as that negates the use of
caching SNAPSHOTs and will slowdown the build way to much.

> Another solution is to delete the metadata file from the local
> repository.

Nope... this does not work either as the problem shows up quite often
when you removed you local repo and build... ie... no local metadata
at all.  So I don't think the problem is there.

If there is a problem with the local metadata it is getting corrupted
while mvn is running, so even removing the local repo cache will not
ensure that the run will succeed.

> Btw, how come the original snapshot versions are removed from the
> remote repository?
> The local metadata file probably contains a reference to the old
> snapshot version,
> but doesn't seem to have it locally, which needs investigation..

Who said anything about removing anything?  The genesis 1.1-SNAPSHOTS
have not been altered ore removed from the remote repo. In the
specific problem build 1 - 23 of plugin-support are all available.

> As for the other snapshot errors: Maven 1 legacy repositories don't
> contain metadata files. Updating snapshots from them doesn't seem
> to work. That's another thing that
> should be investigated.
>
> I personally never have problems with snapshot versions, so maybe
> the use of maven 1 repositories
> and the removal of snapshots from the remote repository isn't
> handled correctly by Maven.

I know there are issues with m1 repos... not specific to snapshots...
though unfortunately we can not eliminate them completely from out
build because we have a few dependencies which define m1 repos in
their poms.

But... I think that use of m1 repos is only one of the problems going
on here... something else, which I have yet to understand, is broken.

One thing does look very fishy to me though....

<snip>
1) org.apache.geronimo.genesis.plugins:plugin-support:jar:1.1-SNAPSHOT
   Then, install it using the command:
       mvn install:install-file -
DgroupId=org.apache.geronimo.genesis.plugins -DartifactId=plugin-
support \
           -Dversion=1.1-20061013.014841-21 -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/
path/to/file
   Path to dependency:
         1) org.apache.geronimo.genesis.plugins:tools-maven-
plugin:maven-plugin:1.1-20061013.014841-21         2)
org.apache.geronimo.genesis.plugins:plugin-support:jar:
1.1-20061013.014841-21 ----------
1 required artifact is missing.
for artifact:
org.apache.geronimo.genesis.plugins:tools-maven-plugin:maven-plugin:
1.1-20061013.014841-21 from the specified
</snip>

Notice that the tools-maven-plugin's timestamp-build is
"20061013.014841-21" and this is also the same timestamp-build that
is being used for the plugin-support jar.  However the real timestamp
for build 21 of plugins-support is "20061012.062745".

--jason