geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Conditionally loading modules based on expression (and environment)
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 20:16:05 GMT
On Oct 2, 2006, at 10:23 AM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:
> We should change the schema such that the conditions are neatly
> presented, more like in a xml format than like in java code style. The
> condition string value has the potential to become a very long string
> and thus difficult to read.
>
> <module name="org.apache.geronimo.configs/hot-deployer/$
> {pom.version}/car"
>     condition="SystemUtils.IS_JAVA_1_5 and SystemUtils.JAVA_VENDOR
> == 'sun'"/>

I do not really anticipate that many modules will need to use this,
and I also think that the actual syntax needed to do the above check
will be much more terse.

The advantage of using a single attribute and a simple expression
language to process conditions is... well that it is simple and does
not require much change on the server to implement.  I think if we
changed the schema to add more condition fluff as elements we
complicate things way to much for a feature that is intended to be
used infrequently... it also starts to make the attributes xml schema
look more like jelly which would be really poor direction.

Anyways, this is meant to be a simple hook to get some extra runtime
module selection into the JVM quick (and not too dirty and not need
to much heavy lifting).  I imagine that if we start to see people
using this more, or if we start using it more to condense assemblies,
then we can revisit.

--jason