geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: Fixing java.endorsed.dirs
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 17:35:43 GMT
On Oct 2, 2006, at 7:10 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2006, at 12:25 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
>> Anyway, this sucks, since it requires users to use a shell script
>> to launch Geronimo.  Is there anyway to detect the corba api
>> version and not load the Yoko classes that have the problems?
>
> When it comes to futzing w/ the endorsed dirs I would rather have
> it in the up front and in my face via a script than have some cute
> code forking and setting things behind the scenes.

I couldn't agree more.  I dislike Java forking Java more than I
dislike using shell scripts to start Java.

> We can add some startup code that looks for the "bad" versions of
> classes and throw an exception w/ a useful message stating that the
> endorsed dirs list was probably not setup correctly.

I'd prefer we keep such a check to the Corba startup code.  In the
normally our users will not be starting the corba module so there is
no need to force everyone to use the shell scripts.

-dain