geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Java EE schema license question
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:00:00 GMT
We recently noticed this problem also and have removed all the sun
schemas from our distributions and active svn branches.  Earlier
releases (up through 1.1) included the j2ee 1.4 schemas, and we
haven't made any attempt to stop distributing them or modify the svn
tags for the releases to remove  the sun schemas.

What we've done is to put the sun schemas in the non-public tck repo
and generate xmlbeans artifacts from them.  We distribute the
xmlbeans source  and compiled classes, while removing the actual
schemas themselves.

This does seem slightly silly since sun does not require a click-
through license to access them  from the web: we could also have
generated the xmlbeans artifacts by downloading the schemas at build
time.  I decided against this approach because it would prevent
offline builds and because sun has sometimes changed the schemas
without changing any versioning info and I'd prefer to know what it
is we are building from.

IIUC Geir would be the one to negotiate a license and since IIRC he
pointed out the problem  to us I assume he regards it as extremely
unlikely that we can get a license to redistribute the files.

thanks
david jencks