geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Results] Priorities for 1.2
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:49:53 GMT

On Oct 18, 2006, at 8:37 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2006, at 12:24 AM, David Jencks wrote:

>>> Great.  I'm thinking that we can try to cut a real release by the
>>> end of this month and run it through the TCK wringer.  What does
>>> everyone think?
>>
>> I was thinking more in terms of getting the tck to pass and then
>> cutting a release.  Otherwise we run the risk of having months of
>> work on 2 codebases to get the tck to pass.  Experience has shown
>> me that we can't apply fixes to 2 codebases very well.
>
> Good point.  Unfortunately the TCK licensing prevents us from
> providing an estimate on when this will happen.
>
>> To me the main open question about 1.2 is whether we can certify
>> on j2ee 1.4 with jee5 spec libraries.  If so it is fairly simple
>> to include jee5 preview features.  If not we are going to have to
>> jump through a lot of hoops to demonstrate any jee5
>> functionality.  I haven't heard back from Geir with any news from
>> sun on this question.
>
> Can you explain your comment about "we are going to have to jump
> through a lot of hoops to demonstrate any jee5 functionality"?  It
> sounds scary.

Yup, I'm worried.  Lets take a simple example -- the tx manager.  To
do jpa according to spec, we need a jta 1.1 spec jar.  It's possible
to swap tx manager impls using the module/config aliasing, but I
don't see a way to make this easy for users other than shipping 2
separate servers, one j2ee 1.4 w/no jee5 stuff and one uncertified
jee5 server.  Shipping twice as many servers would strain our
resources as far as keeping track of so many zips.

thanks
david jencks