geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Maven2 vs. Geronimo Maven2 repository problems
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2006 22:09:34 GMT
Ugh... well, I think there may be more problems... as I just started
to notice that builds of car modules downloads the deployed version
of the same module while building...

<snip>
[INFO]
----
[INFO] Building Geronimo Configs :: UDDI Jetty
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO]
----
[INFO] [car:package]
[INFO] Packaging module configuration: /home/gbuild/ws/server/configs/
uddi-jetty/target/plan/plan.xml
[INFO] snapshot org.apache.geronimo.configs:uddi-jetty:1.2-SNAPSHOT:
checking for updates from apache-snapshots
[INFO] snapshot org.apache.geronimo.configs:uddi-jetty:1.2-SNAPSHOT:
checking for updates from codehaus-snapshots
[INFO] snapshot org.apache.geronimo.configs:uddi-jetty:1.2-SNAPSHOT:
checking for updates from apache.snapshots
Downloading: http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/
apache/geronimo/configs/uddi-jetty/1.2-SNAPSHOT/uddi-
jetty-1.2-20061027.030123-3.car
4403K downloaded
</snip>

This is really maddening...

The more I hack around CAR problems, the more that I find that CAR's
are just adding more and more extra unneeded complication to
Geronimo.  In fact I believe that CAR are the reason why the G build
is so complicated... and convoluted.

At what point do we stop hacking around this and just toss CAR files
out the window?

Any simplicity we get from CARs when loading them in the server is
IMO completely negated by the complexity of the build required to
produce them.

I'd really love to see CARs go away... and leave in there place plain
xml files, which are easily editable and do not require and
additional build processing to massage them.

  * * *

But, until then... anyone know why the build of a CAR is trying to
resolve itself as a dependency?

--jason