geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Resolving GBean References in Web Applications
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2006 15:14:27 GMT
On 10/13/06, Shiva Kumar H R <shivahr@gmail.com> wrote:
> My query now is:
> 1) Why is <pattern> element listed as a choice? Isn't it always required?

If you're positive that there's only one GBean with the appropriate
interface in the whole server, you may be able to omit the pattern and
get that one GBean.  I haven't tried this.  It also would be useful if
gbean-ref supported Collection-type properties, but I'm not sure it
does.

> 2) Also what is the need for multiple <pattern> elements? (as is allowed by
> <xsd:choice minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded">).

Again, if the gbean-ref supported Collections, it would be useful.
Otherwise, it may be that you know there are two possible GBeans, and
only one of them will be present, but you want to pick up whichever
one is there (e.g. the normal web services builder or the unavailable
web services builder).  I haven't tried that either.

> Correct specification of <pattern> element would help me decide upon the GUI
> support that needs to be added for it in the Geronimo Deployment Plan Editor
> of Eclipse Plugin. If <pattern> element is indeed a <xsd:choice
> minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"> then the appropriate GUI control for it
> would be a "Table". Else a simple sequence of Label-cum-Text fields would be
> enough.

I think you could create a GUI that requires exactly one pattern for
now -- that would hit 99% of use cases that I can imagine.

Thanks,
     Aaron