geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Fixing java.endorsed.dirs
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 17:57:19 GMT
> > When it comes to futzing w/ the endorsed dirs I would rather have
> > it in the up front and in my face via a script than have some cute
> > code forking and setting things behind the scenes.
>
> I couldn't agree more.  I dislike Java forking Java more than I
> dislike using shell scripts to start Java.

My biggest potential problem with forking is that the way I usually
set up a server process is to launch it into the background and record
the process ID to a file.  If the original process immediately
launches a new process and quits, then I may not know what the actual
server process ID is and I may not be able to effectively kill it
later.  It's less problematic since you can shut down with the console
or shutdown JAR, but still annoying.

Thanks,
      Aaron