geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Jetty config dependency on Clustering
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 21:41:40 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2006, at 11:43 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>
>> Can somebody please help me understand why the Jetty Config has a
>> hard dependency on the Clustering config?  It seems a little odd to
>> me that we can't build a Jetty assembly that doesn't contain  support
>> for clustering.
>

> geronimo-clustering just has apis.  Without an api or an  implementation
> there isn't going to be any way to have clustering  support.  Better an
> api than an implementation.

Thanks for the explanation David.  I didn't realize this only included
the APIs.

One more question.  Why is it better to create this as its own
configuration (and for my purposes it's own plugin) rather than just a
jar that is included with the Jetty (and Tomcat?) configuration as a
dependency?

I might be coming at this from the wrong angle, but I'm thinking that as
we expose plugins as building blocks for assemblies (where many plugins
are basically configs from our build) then some of these items might be
too granular and confuse our users.  I could see a user thinking that
they didn't need (or want) clustering and then wondering why it is
pulled into their image anyway.

Thanks,
Joe