geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: JSTL dependencies on JSP/EL
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:27:42 GMT
Tomcat 6 is just around the corner, but is pretty easy to build from
SVN, three steps,
1. svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/ trunk
2. cd trunk
3. ant download
4. ant

It generates all the libraries that you'll need, more answers inline

Joe Bohn wrote:

> JSTL 1.2 is dependent upon a JSP 2.1 web container (this is no great
> surprise).  However, more specifically the Glassfish JSTL
> implementation is dependent upon a JSP 2.1 implementation and a 2.1 EL
> implementation as well.
>
> So, I'm wondering where we will pick up the JSP support for the
> various containers.
it should come with the container itself. Tomcat 6 will ship with it.
We are also hoping to publish the individual JARs to the ASF maven repo,
so that they can be utilized independently.

> I've seen it mentioned someplace that Jetty 6 would pick up the
> Glassfish JSP 2.1 implementation.  Is this true?  I just downloaded
> Jetty 6.0.1 and it seems that the JSP2.1 jar in lib does include
> com.sun classes.  However, if look under modules/jsp-2.1 there are
> apache jasper items there (which I presume are from jakarta).
> Jan/Greg ... could one of you clarify this?  If it is Glassfish then I
> presume there should be no issue with using the Glassfish JSTL library
> with Jetty6 ... do you agree?
>
> I'm having a more difficult time finding information for Tomcat 6.x.
> There's no download yet and the documentation for tomcat 6.x seems
> like it's still a 5.x version of the doc with just 6.x headers.  It
> still references servlet 2.4 and JSP 2.0 (via Jakarta) rather than
> servlet 2.5 and JSP 2.1.  Does anybody (Jeff?) know if Tomcat is
> planning to pick up the Glassfish JSP 2.1 impl as well or is there
> going to be a new Jakarta Jasper implementation?
Tomcat doesn't pick it up from Glassfish, it sits in the Tomcat source tree.

Filip