geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: J2EE Management for JEE 5
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:22:48 GMT

Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> JSR 77 is a weird spec in that is had very few Java APIs specified.
> The bulk of the spec described the names of fields and operations to  be
> exposed via JMX.  You should check if the Java APIs were updated  for
> Java5 generics.

JSR 77 is a weird spec!  As I was just looking at Chris' note and the
spec I was surprised to see that most of the fundamental "interfaces"
(like J2EEManagedObject and J2EEServer) are only defined within our
implementation (modules/geronimo-management) and not included in our
version of the management spec.  It seems that only the JSR 77
statistics types are included as interfaces in our version of the spec.

This makes me wonder about the specs that I signed up for which are
newly included in Java EE 5 (JSTL and Annotations).   Is it correct to
assume that we should only include interface definitions from the specs
if they were explicitly called out (such as with package names) or
called out in an API section of the specification?   The JSTL spec
includes an API section that includes not only interfaces but also
abstract and other classes.  I was planning to just use Glassfish for
JSTL and pick up their spec jar as part of the package rather than
creating a Geronimo named spec jar.  Does that make sense?

The Annotations spec has package qualified annotation interfaces
declared in the spec.  It appears that somebody (DBlevins?) has already
created most of these in our specs tree.

Thanks,
Joe