geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: micro-G modules(configs)
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 14:37:10 GMT

Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> On 10/5/06, Joe Bohn <joe.bohn@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> The following modules are currently included in micro-G.
>> What of these should we attempt to remove yet from micro-G?
>

> Where are we heading with Micro-G? Do we want to strip off all
> modules, but those that let us download plugins and enhance the
> server?
That's my goal.  Just enough of the Geronimo framework to be able to
deploy plugins.

It's not a kernel and neither is it a server. Should we call
> it a container? A plugin container? Will it end up as a OSGi-like
> container that understand GBean-based bundles? Some more help required
> or my brain will melt down.
I couldn't quite decide what to call it either which is why I'm using
the term "geronimo-framework" for the assembly.  But I'm certainly open
to other opinions.   I don't envision this being something that the
casual user would pick up directly.  I image that we would still ship
the full j2ee assembly and possibly even the minimal assembly.  Micro-G
would be available for more sophisticated users that wanted to build a
custom image and for vendors who might pick up Micro-G, build their own
custom image, and then add their own software for redistribution/sale.