geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject What is GShell?
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 07:01:02 GMT
I keep hearing this question... I thought I had put out enough detail
about GShell on the list months ago, but still there is some mystery
about it.  So I thought I would send out a simple terse explanation
that sums it up.

  * * *

GShell allows users to telnet into a running Geronimo server and run
some commands.

It includes a 'script' command which allows an arbitrary script (in
any bsf supported language) to be executed... all _inside_ of
Geronimo.  Soon GShell will also support ssh (as soon as I can figure
out how to make Jsch work as a server).

The framework to make the above command stuff work can also be used
to implement simple pluggable tools for command-line use... and I
would imagine that we could eventually change all of our command line
bits to run from it (perhaps all except the server command).  The
nice thing here is that it is trivial to just "drop in" new commands
with out needing more platform scripts and with out having to rewrite
all of that icky main(String[]) handling muck... all with sexy
readline-like buffer editing/history and tab completion (all of which
provided by jline which kicks ass).

Eventually GShell will have a full expression parser very similar to
Bash, but right now it is a tad primitive, but functional enough for
compound expressions and variable expansion.

Okay, I gotta stop now or else this will turn into a novel...

So, I hope that helps explain what the mysterious GShell is... if
not, let me know and I will revise my simple terse explanation so
that it does.

Cheers,

--jason