geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins?
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2006 15:40:27 GMT
Good question.  Actually right now there are three catalogs, one for
each of 1.1, 1.1.1, and 1.2-SNAPSHOT.  When 1.2 is released I expect
that its catalog will replace the 1.2-SNAPSHOT catalog.  I don't think
that maintaining multiple catalogs is ideal and we will probably want
to converge them into one if possible.

However, at this time the main reason for multiple catalogs is because
the plugins are not compatible across Geronimo releases, at least the
ones I tried.  Since the supported geronimo versions is a property of
each plugin, and not the other way around, a consolidated plugin
catalog would need to contain a separate entry for each version of the
plugin. Loading this catalog into the plugin portlet produces a
confusing looking UI, where multiple entries are listed for each
plugin but some are grayed out as being unavailable with no obvious
indication as to why.

Another reason is because the plugin versions are hosted at different
repositories.  We may be able to work around that by including a
<default-repository> element in the catalog for each repository, but I
haven't looked closely at how that works yet.

And finally another reason is because it seems like it will be pretty
straightforward to enhance geronimo's build process to create the
catalog for a release.  I think this will basically entail
concatenating all the geronimo-plugin.xml files in the config tree
with a little additional munging.  But I don't think there's a good
way to perform this *across* releases.

Not trying to overwhelm you with justifications, just want to be as
transparent as possible since I'm really thinking through this as I go
along and want to gather feedback :-)  To avoid maintaining multiple
catalogs we may very well want to tackle some of these issues right
now. Jason had some excellent ideas earlier in this thread about how
to maintain the catalog(s) in maven and I definitely think that's
where we should be headed, along with some parallel enhancements to
the UI and CLI.

Best wishes,
Paul