geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is GShell?
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2006 17:12:32 GMT
OK I should have guessed that windows was the culprit. I jumped over
to debian and now all is fine.  GShell looks very promising!!  I love
the idea of being able to telnet or ssh into the server and run
commands remotely.  As a matter of fact this appears to provide a
vital improvement that Geronimo users have been asking for: the
ability to remotely administer a running server (see the "Swing
console?" thread from 9/17/2006).

A few questions :
-  what's the security model?
-  will GShell share a common code path with the console and the CLI
for handling things like deployment?
-  which subsystems of geronimo will GShell depend on and how will it
access them? e.g. will it be wrappered as a gbean and use the kernel
to get access to them?  mainly I'm wondering if (unlike the console)
it will be able to administer components running in the server without
a having a run-time dependency against them.

thanks,
Paul