geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jacek Laskowski" <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>
Subject Re: Feedback from JAOO
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2006 15:20:12 GMT

> The net result from my conversations was:
>
> Java 1.5
> JEE 5.0 soon
> Simpler to use
> More activity on the website; it doesn't change enough.

All what Matt wrote about the conference and our presentations about
Apache Geronimo is true so I won't repeat it. What I wanted to stress
is our visibility (aka PR). I had a couple of discussions with
attendees about what they'd change to bring more attention to Apache
Geronimo and they all mentioned about documentation and website
updates. They need more not only about Geronimo itself, but some pages
about how different technologies apply to Geronimo. As an example
let's take GBeans, POJOs, Geronimo Kernel, XBean and Spring. They seem
to be so similar that people who attended Geronimo session and OSGi
one afterwards kept asking how it's different and why we're
implementing something that we could re-use. Even though I could
explain the existence of XBean and its way to simplify Spring
configuration it wasn't easy to explain Geronimo Kernel with GBeans
and OSGi. It seemed so similar to me that I keep scratching my head
around it yet.

I enjoy the conference and the ability to hear people's views on
different aspects of Apache Geronimo development and open source
projects in general. People seemed to be very interested in Geronimo.
I can't explain what it was exactly (as they couldn't explain it to me
and I didn't push too much), but I could feel they appreciated our
efforts and collaboration.

What I was really surprised with was to *not* hear much about JEE
features. Well, people mentioned it, but that's it. It turns out that
POJOs changed the expectations and as far as one can write a POJO and
annotate/configure it somehow and it will (automagically) work they'll
be happy. Of course, JEE-compliancy is important, but more
documentation and website updates are yet more important.

There were some comments about Geronimo's error message reporting
that's not very helpful and fixing problems with applications using
Apache Geronimo was not as easy as it should be.

Aha, people expect v1.2 soon regardless of what it's going to provide.
Just that it's available seems to be very important to many people and
although features are highly appreciated, the better we polish what
we've *already* got the merrier.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski