I did build it from the shortest possible root path -> g:\
The problem persists...

I have attached error-updated.txt and command-updated.txt, now corresponding to this path.
Does Maven debug output in error-updated.txt indicate that a javac compilation command as in command-updated.txt is issued in Windows Command Window? If the answer is 'yes' to this question, then I guess we have a 8192-char-limit command line length problem.

However, I feel that the answer could be 'no' as well... since other Windows folks are not facing this problem while building (its only me :-( ).
But the path-length problem may not be the cause, I would think...


On 9/2/06, Joe Bohn <> wrote:

I think that you might be really seeing the windows pathlength problem.
  It looks like your root path is "D:\dev\geronimo\g-codebase\".  That's
28 chars.  I haven't tried to figure out the practical root limit
recently but the last time I checked it was something like 14 chars
before we started to see problems.  I doubt that this has somehow
increased in trunk recently to allow a 28 char path.

I suggest that you change your geronimo root to "D:\g\" and attempt the
build again to rule out this as the possible cause of your problems.


Deepak Srinivasa wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks Bill for the patch. I applied the patch, and was hoping that it
> would fix my problem (was hopeful because Anitha was able to build...).
> But, it did not build in my case :-(. The same error. Then I did what
> Jacek asked me to do... I tried hand compiling by picking up the javac
> line from the mvn -X output. When I run the command, I get a - 'The
> input line is too long' error.
> As far as I can make out, the problem I am facing seems to be with -
> Windows restrictions on command line length.
> I ran through some of the previous posts in the dev-list, but most of
> the related ones were path-length problems, and not command-line-length
> problems. So, we may have hit a new problem due to restriction on
> Windows (or may be that this problem has already been discussed, in
> which case, someone please point me to a workaround/solution).
> I learnt that Windows has a restriction of 8192 characters in its
> command window (CMD.EXE). See ->
> < >
> I checked this and its true...
> Now, the javac command generated by Maven when the build fails in my
> case is 31489 chars in length!! I then changed my codebase to start from
> g:> directly. I ended up with 25568 characters (still way off from a
> measly 8192 thats allwoed).
> Some of the pacthes/workarounds provided earlier deal with the
> path-length problem. Though the two problems are related (path length
> increases => command line length increases), they are different too
> (path length can be less than 256, and yet the total command line length
> can exceed 8192)...
> I have attached a file here (command.txt), which I think is the javac
> command issued by Maven that fails. I hand wrote this by looking at the
> mvn -X output in the file error.txt also attached here.
> When I see the javac command (in command.txt), I see that lot of source
> java files are given as arguments one after another, and therefore the
> command line length increases so much. May be, we could compile the
> sources one after another? Not sure if thats a good alternative...
> Anyone encountered this problem before? I am wondering why I am facing
> this problem while others on Windows are able to build. This only tells
> me that I have not applied some patch or something. Am I missing
> something... please let me know.
> Thanks for your patience.
> -Deepu.
> On 9/1/06, *Bill Dudney* <
> <>> wrote:
>     Hi Jacek,
>     Just posted it, the build is once again successful for me. Sorry
>     about the rar problem, what a pain!
>     If you get a chance great, if not no worries.
>     Deepak, would be great if you could try it out and let us know if it
>     works for you.
>     Thanks!
>     -bd-
>     On Sep 1, 2006, at 8:20 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:
>      > On 9/1/06, Bill Dudney <
>     <>> wrote:
>      >> I think this is a bug in the build because of the removal of
>      >> geronimo-
>      >> j2ee_1.4_spec module.
>      >>
>      >> I filed a bug and will uploaded a patch shortly;
>      >>
>      >>
>     <>
>      >>
>      >> Please try it and comment in the JIRA on success/failure.
>      >
>      > I'm too fast today as the patch is not yet there ;-) I won't be able
>      > to test it out as I'm struggling with another issue with the rar
>      > plugin that won't let me build Geronimo successfully.
>      >
>      > Jacek
>      >
>      > --
>      > Jacek Laskowski
>      >