geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dain Sundstrom" <d...@apache.org>
Subject Getting releases out
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 01:25:26 GMT
I have been poking around at the release stuff for a few days and feel
I have an understanding of the necessary steps to get a release out.
Unfortunately, there seem to be loads of items on the check list.  In
order to keep myself sane, I have divided them into three areas:
schedule, mechanics and certification... a description of each
follows.  I greatly appreciate any comments and questions.

Thanks,

-dain

Schedule

Based on the feedback from the poll, we are going to feature-box our
releases.  This means we need come to an agreement on what is in the
1.2 release.  I will start another email thread to discuss the 1.2
feature set and priorities.  Once we know the required feature set we
will be able to track the progress of the release based on the
completed features.

Mechanics

The maven configuration, shell scripts, review process and voting
procedure for a release are all quite complex and can have a big
impact on the release.   I think this area will benefit greatly from
practicing and iterative improvement.  I'd like to start by posting a
binary each Wednesday to
http://people.apache.org/dist/geronimo/unstable/ and every week add at
least one improvement to the process.   Starting with tomorrow here is
what I'd like to improve for the next few weeklies:

9/20 - Simply get the first binary posted with a change log swizzled from JIRA
9/27 - Add a script or maven config to change the version number of G
to 1.2-${svn rev}
10/4 - Practice the review and voting process by pushing a voted upon
monthly snapshot (just an idea)

Hopefully, I'll be able to con a few of you in to help tune some parts
of the release process.  If you have some free cycles, and want to
help with build/release stuff, please jump in and help.

Certification

This has always been a big chore for us and the amount of time we
spend on it seems to be exponentially proportional to the length of
time that has passed since our last certification.  In the case of
1.2, I fear we are going to have to spend a lot of time on this.   In
the future, I'd like to move us to a continuous TCK testing mode where
we get a report every morning indicating whether or not the previous
day's commits broke anything.  For now, I'd love to have our weekly
binaries tested and get results within a few days.