geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From ian.d.stew...@jpmchase.com
Subject Re: One more build error on Windows
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 19:54:56 GMT
According to Deepak's e-mail, the javac command is 32k long.  There is more
than just a long path to the Geronimo install going on here.  I would be
curious to see what that command looks like.   I find it very difficult to
believe that this command cannot be optimized.

Ian

It's better to be hated for who you are
than loved for who you're not

Ian D. Stewart
Distributed Computing Engineer II
DSS eCommerce Engineering
Phone: (614) 244-2564

             Joe Bohn
             <joe.bohn@earthli
             nk.net>                                                    To
                                       dev@geronimo.apache.org
             09/01/2006 03:12                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: One more build error on Windows
             Please respond to
             dev@geronimo.apac
                  he.org

Deepak,

I think that you might be really seeing the windows pathlength problem.
  It looks like your root path is "D:\dev\geronimo\g-codebase\".  That's
28 chars.  I haven't tried to figure out the practical root limit
recently but the last time I checked it was something like 14 chars
before we started to see problems.  I doubt that this has somehow
increased in trunk recently to allow a 28 char path.

I suggest that you change your geronimo root to "D:\g\" and attempt the
build again to rule out this as the possible cause of your problems.

Joe

Deepak Srinivasa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks Bill for the patch. I applied the patch, and was hoping that it
> would fix my problem (was hopeful because Anitha was able to build...).
> But, it did not build in my case :-(. The same error. Then I did what
> Jacek asked me to do... I tried hand compiling by picking up the javac
> line from the mvn -X output. When I run the command, I get a - 'The
> input line is too long' error.
>
> As far as I can make out, the problem I am facing seems to be with -
> Windows restrictions on command line length.
> I ran through some of the previous posts in the dev-list, but most of
> the related ones were path-length problems, and not command-line-length
> problems. So, we may have hit a new problem due to restriction on
> Windows (or may be that this problem has already been discussed, in
> which case, someone please point me to a workaround/solution).
>
> I learnt that Windows has a restriction of 8192 characters in its
> command window (CMD.EXE). See ->
> http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2003/12/10/56028.aspx
> <http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2003/12/10/56028.aspx>
> I checked this and its true...
>
> Now, the javac command generated by Maven when the build fails in my
> case is 31489 chars in length!! I then changed my codebase to start from
> g:> directly. I ended up with 25568 characters (still way off from a
> measly 8192 thats allwoed).
>
> Some of the pacthes/workarounds provided earlier deal with the
> path-length problem. Though the two problems are related (path length
> increases => command line length increases), they are different too
> (path length can be less than 256, and yet the total command line length
> can exceed 8192)...
> I have attached a file here (command.txt), which I think is the javac
> command issued by Maven that fails. I hand wrote this by looking at the
> mvn -X output in the file error.txt also attached here.
> When I see the javac command (in command.txt), I see that lot of source
> java files are given as arguments one after another, and therefore the
> command line length increases so much. May be, we could compile the
> sources one after another? Not sure if thats a good alternative...
>
> Anyone encountered this problem before? I am wondering why I am facing
> this problem while others on Windows are able to build. This only tells
> me that I have not applied some patch or something. Am I missing
> something... please let me know.
> Thanks for your patience.
>
> -Deepu.
>
> On 9/1/06, *Bill Dudney* <bdudney@apache.org
> <mailto:bdudney@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Jacek,
>
>     Just posted it, the build is once again successful for me. Sorry
>     about the rar problem, what a pain!
>
>     If you get a chance great, if not no worries.
>
>     Deepak, would be great if you could try it out and let us know if it
>     works for you.
>
>     Thanks!

> [...]

under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  Although this transmission and
any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other
defect that might affect any computer system into which it is
received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to
ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by
JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as
applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
If you received this transmission in error, please immediately
contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,