geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r437291 - in /geronimo/server/trunk: bootstrap bootstrap.bat bootstrap.xml
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:33:52 GMT
On Sep 1, 2006, at 7:42 AM, anita kulshreshtha wrote:
>    None of these are required. The *only* thing that needs to be
> published is the car-maven-plugin. The only time one might(?) need to
> use bootstrap is when releasing a new version of the plugin. The
> plugin
> must be released *only* in these two case:
>   - The version is changed from 1.2-SNAPSHOT to anything else.
>   - The plexus component.xml is changed. The code changes in mojo do
> not matter.
>   I have tested this and it has been confirmed by Brett Porter on RC.
> With that said, here are the steps I use to build from a clean repo:
>   (If you want to start with a clean repo, delete .m2 repo.)

Anita, why do you always bring this up when there is talk about
bootstrap?  I have explained over and over and over again that the
point of bootstrap is not to facilitate a normal build but to ensure
that the build works from a known state (ie. clean, fresh specs, from
openejb2).  Your method does not provide this level of assurance.  I
created this script because people had problems checking things out
in the right place, cleaning the right bits and running the right mvn
commands to perform the build steps that were needed to help ensure
that most everyone (except for some folks with whacky windows
machines) can make a reliable build near 100% of the time.

I'm really kinda getting tired of having to re-explain this.

> To build geronimo with openejb2 add openejb2 to the default profile in
> the top level pom.xml as shown below:
>            <modules>
>                 <module>modules</module>
>                 <module>maven-plugins</module>
>                 <module>applications</module>
>                 <module>openejb2</module>                    <-------
>                 <module>configs</module>
>                 <module>assemblies</module>
>             </modules>
>     and

No, no, no, no... no... no.  We had already talked about this weeks
ago.  Its fine that you want to build in this manner, but I am firmly
against putting a module into the main build that is for a directory
that the user must checkout by hand.  Do you recall the talks about
svn:externals weeks ago?

>> cd ..
>> mvn
>    After the first time you can build from any directory.
>
>     Please give it a try and provide feedback, so that we can put
> bootstrap to rest.

I don't have any problems with you, or anyone else making changes to
include openejb2 in their local workspace (I'd recommend putting that
into a profiles.xml next to the pom.xml though).  But I think that
your method is unacceptable for the project default.

Bootstrap is there for a reason... I am not crazy, I actually know
what I am doing.

At this point I believe that bootstrap is important and needs to
remain, until the items I previously listed are resolved.

--jason