geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Where to develop plugins (was: Re: JPA Plugin patch)
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:28:43 GMT

On Sep 1, 2006, at 8:27 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> Re: developers developing plugins - you're certainly right, we're not
> developing one monolithic codebase with all the features one could
> dream of. It's impossible and I understand why people could develop
> their plugins outside. They simply don't have necessary karma to do it
> here. That's a very important matter I've not thought of before.
>
> What I was not happy with was you as a Geronimo committer who's been
> doing plugin development outside. Now, when I think about it a bit
> more I think I get the gist of it - you couldn't work with your
> buddies, actually, they couldn't work as easily as they can do outside
> - the rest of the jpa plugin team don't have the karma to do it here.
> Got it and have to think about it a little to let my mind settle.

A major part of my moral compass on situations like this is, "what
signal
does this send to the aspiring <ProjectName> developers out there?"

Imagine a hundred developers excited about the idea of developing
plugins
for Geronimo.  How do my actions and attitudes in this situation affect
them and their excitement and what does it tell them about how they
might
be perceived by me?  Am I ultimately bringing them closer or scaring
them
away?

The answers are of course harder.

-David